PUMPKIN SEED PESTO PASTA (Allergen Free/ Nut Free/ Tree Nut Free)
I truly love the toasted pumpkin seed flavour in replace of traditional pesto with pine nuts. Pesto should be bright green, if its not, you’ve done it wrong! We don’t want to bruise the basil leaves, they are delicate and the method is more important than the ingredients!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups of fresh basil
- Optional : few leaves of mint
- 1/2 a small clove of garlic
- sea salt & cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup of toasted pumpkin seeds (not raw)
- 1/4 cup of grated parmigiano
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 3/4 – 1 cup of quality olive oil
- 1 ice cube
- Spaghetti or Spaghettoni pasta + reserve 1/2 cup pasta water
- Boil your pasta – al dente! Reserve the 1/2 cup starchy pasta water, this will be the “glue” that binds everything together. Its very important that you do not rinse your pasta ever
- Pesto base – add parmigiano, pumpkin seeds, salt, pepper, garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarse or desired consistency.
- Add in your basil with the ice cube, do not over pulse this in the food processor. (the ice cube is like a blanching method to keep the green from oxidizing)
- Add in your cold water here + work in the olive oil until you’ve reached the consistency you want, you want this to be like a sauce not like sand!
- In a mixing bowl, add your cooked pasta, a few table spoons of the reserved pasta water and add in your pesto, mix and work in until there is a sauce-y consistency.
- Serve right away because your pesto will start to oxidize and change colour! 🙁
- Garnish with Pesto Flowers if you have them from the garden!
Check out Massimo’s video on Pesto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyRuV2eJlM