Italian Peach Cookies/ Pesche Docli
It looks intimidating, but it is two vanilla cookies pressed together with a yummy filling, then tye-dyed effect in grenadine and apple juice, rolled in sugar!
TWICE BAKED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH RAGU SAUCE
- What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium size spaghetti squash
- 1/2 onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt & pepper
- 1lb ground turkey or a equal parts ground pork and lean ground beef
- 4-5 basil leaves
- Crushed Tomatoes (buy San Marzano, Mutti, Molisana etc)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- Mozzarella cut into slices
- Heat oven to 400F
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, season with S&P
- On tin foil lined baking sheet, place the squash on the sheet, inside facing down, bake for 20 mins or until insides pull gently from the sides with fork
- In a medium size pot, slice and sautée in olive oil, garlic, onion, celery, S&P for 5-8mins until onions are translucent. If you have wine put 1/4 cup of it in at this stage
- Brown the meat on all sides 5-8 mins
- Add the tomato paste until it is a deeper color of red, then add the strained tomatoes and fresh basil
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 15-20 mins, stir every once and awhile
- Switch the oven to Hi -Broil
- Pour the meat ragu into the centers of the spaghetti squash & layer mozzarella on top
- Put in the oven for 2 mins! Don’t burn!
Sweet Potato – Chickpea Thai Red Curry
Less meat each week, more nutrient dense food is the way to go, at least that’s what my research tells me & Dr. Fuhrman’s “Nutritarian” way of Continue Reading
Mint Smashed Peas + Ricotta + Poached Eggs on Toast
Such a delicious breakfast idea, had a breakfast similar to this in Barcelona at Caravelle and I just had to recreate it at home. You can really play with the herbs here, Mint & Basil…. or Dill & Parsley. You can also do Whipped Feta instead of Ricotta:) Continue Reading
TURKEY MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1/2 cup dried bread or panko is fine
- 1/4 finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- season with salt and pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1.5 lbs of ground turkey, COLD!
- 1 egg beaten
- olive oil for searing
- 3-4 cups of tomato sauce, or crushed tomatoes blended until smooth with basil
- Combine cheese, bread crumbs, onions, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add in ground turkey and egg and blend with your hands. Form 1 inch meatballs in diameter and keep cold.
- Use a good non-stick pan and brown the meatballs in 1-2 table spoons of olive oil. Wait until the oil is hot before putting them in. Brown all sides and transfer to plate. Do not over crowd and go in small batches until browned.
- Scrap down all the bits in the bottom of the pan and add in the tomato sauce and simmer, add in the meatballs and cook for 15-20 mins on simmer.
- Serve over Risotto with more cheese or eat them straight up!