BLUEBERRY SCONES WITH GRASS-FED BUTTER
So I’m really into grass fed butter for a lot of reasons and I wanted to make a baked good that really takes alot of butter. Butter was made out to be the devil, this is old school thinking and I’m pro-healthy fats, grass fed butter is one of those! Here are the facts you should know about Grass Fed Butter:
- CLA, or conjugated linoleic acid, which helps reduce belly fat, protects against cancer and encourages muscle growth
- Vitamin A to help maintain thyroid, adrenal and cardiovascular health
- Vitamin K2 to support bone density and possibly reverse arterial calcification
- Vitamin A, D and E, all key anti-oxidants that are essential to good health
- Key health supporting nutrients and minerals including lecithin, selenium, magnesium, zinc, copper, iodine and more
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2 cups of flour Bob’s Red Mill – Organic All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 5-6 tablespoons of unsalted, cold, cubed Kiwi Pure Butter
- 1 cup of 35% cream (grass fed dairy is preferred or organic)
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries (do not use frozen)
- parchment paper
- Oven to 400F, line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Sift all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Cube your butter, or cut into chunks (the key is to not warm the butter with your hands, don’t touch it!) With a pastry knife or two forks, put the butter in the bowl of your dry mixture slice back and forth with the forks until combined. Your mixture will look like coarse crumbs.
- Fold in your blueberries, do this gently and try not to squish your berries
- Pour in the heavy cream and fold everything together, do not overwork the dough it will make for a tough scone and we don’t want that :)!
- Press the dough on your counter or cutting board, and form a rectangle about 12 x3 and 2 inches high. Use a floured knife and cut straight across giving you 4 rectangle pieces and then cut those in half on a diagonal to give you 8 triangle pieces.
- Brush each top with extra 35% cream to brown the tops
- Put in the oven for 15-20 mins until beautiful golden brown colour!
More about Kiwi Pure Butter:
- Made with 100% milk from grass fed cows
- Maintains an improved Omega Ratio (6:3)
- No Antibiotics or added hormones
- From New Zealand
- Learn more: Rolling Meadow Dairy