Butternut Squash Saffron Risotto with Pancetta (Risotto Milanese)
This dish is based off of the classic Saffron Risotto most people call Risotto Milanese. It is a beautiful yellow colour with simple threads of Saffron. It almost looks like a mac and cheese version, but don’t be fooled! This is so decadent, rich and savory.
What You’ll Need:
- 4-6 cups of Organic Stock
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- Arborio Rice, product of Italy
- 1 Butternut Squash
- Tsp Saffron
- Few tbsp of Butter
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper
- 1 & 1/2 Onions and 1 Shallots
1. Roast your butternut squash! Cube your butternut squash, toss in olive oil, salt & pepper and roast on a baking sheet in the oven at 350F for 45 mins or until golden in colour not caramelized. Set aside.
2. Warm your stock in a small pot. Keep on Simmer.
3. In a deep fry pan, melt butter and olive oil. Add your diced onion until soft. about 5-8 mins on medium heat. Stiring often. Add in your pancetta and cook.
4. Toast your arborio rice for 3 mins. add in more butter if you’d like. Stiring often.
5. Add in your white wine until absorbed. Stiring often.
6. Add in two cups of stock, one at a time. Stiring often. until absorbed.
7. Add a tsp of saffron and salt and pepper.
8. Add the remainder of your stock, cup by cup, until absorbed, stiring often. and cook for 20-25 mins until your risotto is tender.